Chemical Battalion

Distinctive Unit Insignia




HOME

NBC Links Homepage

DUI Home Page

SSI Home Page

Chemical Regiment DUIs

Chemical Brigade DUIs

Chemical Battalion DUIs

Chemical Company DUIs

Division Series DUIs

Other Chemical DUIs

Insignia References

Want & Trade List

Humor Page



1st Chemical Battalion

1st Chemical Battalion


1st Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 1B
- On dark blue shield a black volcano issuing transparent red flames all within a gold nebule border, a pierced dark blue scroll with motto: LANAKILA O PELE (Pele triumphs) in gold.
- Authorized 29 July 1932. Samples approved 2 September 1932, rescinded 15 October 1976.

Notes:
- Fastener(s): Screwback, pinback.
- Hallmark(s): N.S. Meyer Inc.
- Dimensions: (29x30mm)

1st Chemical Battalion

1st Chemical Battalion


1st Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 1B1
- Similar to the 1B, smaller, border is embattled not nebule; a crest added, a Hawaiian helmet in red, lined gold; motto changed to: AHI A PELE.

Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark
- Dimensions: (31x21mm)
- Made by several makers by collectors. There is quite of bit of doubt about this designation. The motto is the same as 229th Infantry.


2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 2B
- On a gold shield, a transparent dragon red serpent dragon with inverted wings, grasping in its claws a dark blue lightening bolt, its dexter hind paw resting on a light blue automobile wheel, a gold scroll with motto: FLAMMIS VINCIMUS (With Fire We Conquer) in transparent red.
- Authorized 8 August 1940. Samples approved 13 May 1941.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 5/32 inches (2.94 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Or, a dragon segreant with wings inverted Gules clutching in its right front claws a lightning bolt Azure, its dexter hind paw resting upon an automobile wheel Proper. Attached below the shield a Gold color scroll inscribed "FLAMMIS VINCIMUS" in red.


Symbolism: Or (gold) is a color traditionally used for the Chemical Warfare Service. The dragon clutching a lightning bolt is reflective of the unit's aggressive attitude. The lightning bolt symbolizes the ability to fight with or against fire, gas and smoke. The automobile wheel represents the unit's mobility for rapid response.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 2d Separate Chemical Battalion on 8 August 1940. It was redesignated for the 2d Chemical Mortar Battalion on 26 February 1951. It was redesignated for the 2d Chemical Weapons Battalion on 3 August 1953. The insignia was rescinded on 15 November 1963. It was reinstated and redesignated effective 1 September 1981, for the 2d Chemical Battalion.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/2ChemicalBattalion.htm.
Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): N.S. Meyer Inc, Uris Sales Corp.
- Dimensions: (30x27mm)

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 2B1
- Similar to 2B smaller dragon varies in shape.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): NBI Co. Japan.
- Dimensions: (29x27mm)

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 2B2
- Similar to 2B dragon is opaque red.
- Samples approved 24 June 1965.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): N.S. Meyer Inc.
- Dimensions: (30x28mm)

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 2C
- Similar to 2B, shield varies in size and shape, wheel is dark blue, shield has an inner darker border, dragon varied in size, blue is transparent; motto is: IGNIVINCEMUS, in black.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark
- Dimensions: (31x27mm)
- Made overseas.

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 2C1
- Similar to 2C, blue is dark opaque blue, motto is black.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark
- Dimensions: (31x26mm)
- Made by Zadik for collectors.

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 2E
- Similar to 2B dragon and motto is opaque red and dragon varies in shape, wheel is grey.
- Samples approved 19 October 1969.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): 22-M, G-23, S-21, P-23.
- Dimensions: (30x28mm)

2d Chemical Battalion

2d Chemical Battalion


2d Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 2E1
- Similar to 2E, dragon and motto are transparent red.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): 22-M.
- Dimensions: (30x28mm)


3rd Chemical Battalion

3rd Chemical Battalion


3rd Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 3A
- On a gold shield, issuant from an Aladdin's lamp in base, clouds forming a genii with clenched dexter hand, all dark transparent blue; in sinister chief a transparent red star; a transparent dark blue scroll with motto: WE COVER in gold. (Also found with an opaque star).
- Authorized 22 September 1942. Samples approved 24 April 1951.


Description: A gold metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned:  Or, issuant from an Aladdin’s Lamp in base clouds forming a genie with clenched dexter hand Azure, in sinister chief a mullet Gules.  Attached below the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "WE COVER" in gold letters.


Symbolism: In the cobalt blue and golden yellow of the Chemical Warfare Service, the story of the genie and the Aladdin’s Lamp is symbolic of the functions of the organization, in that the former could fulfill any wish desired when requested of the Magical Lamp.  The motto "WE COVER" alludes both to the "modus operandi" and to the spirit of the personnel of the organization in the fulfillment of their allotted tasks. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 3rd Separate Chemical Battalion on 22 September 1942.  It was redesignated for the 3rd Chemical Mortar Battalion on 11 January 1951.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/3ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): N.S. Meyer Inc. Also with no hallmark.
- Dimensions: (29x29mm)

3rd Chemical Battalion

3rd Chemical Battalion


3rd Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 3B
- Similar to 3A. Smaller, shield is silver and motto is dark blue on pierced silver scroll.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (28x28mm).
- Made for collectors.


4th Chemical Battalion

4th Chemical Battalion


4th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 4A
- On a transparent dark blue shield, a yellow sinister bend surmounted by a white cloud issuing from sinister base and charged with a light blue lightning flash, all within a narrow countercharged border.
- Submitted for approval 16 July 1956. No record of approval.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Screwback.
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (29x24mm)
- Made overseas.


4th Chemical Battalion

4th Chemical Battalion


4th Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 4B
- On a shield, divided per bend sinister yellow and dark blue, eight bendlets alternating dark blue and yellow between a dark blue fluer-de-lis in chief and in base a transparent purple Rose of Sharon flower, with a yellow center on a stem with two transparent green leaves; a dark blue scroll with motto: OMNE TUTUM FUMO NOSTRO in gold.
- Submitted for approval 26 September 1953. No record of approval. Has been made by Zadik for collectors.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Pinback.
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (30x31mm)


15th Chemical Battalion

15th Chemical Battalion


15th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 15A
- On a dark blue shield three yellow piles issuing from chief, a pierced white scroll with motto: SUPPORT SERVICE in gold. Made overseas.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (28x23mm)


15th Chemical Battalion

15th Chemical Battalion


15th Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 15A1
- Similar to 15A, scroll not pierced, blue is transparent.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (28x23mm)
- Made overseas for collectors.


15th Chemical Battalion

15th Chemical Battalion


15th Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 15A2
- Similar to 15A, scroll is dark blue.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (28x23mm)
- Made overseas for collectors.


15th Chemical Battalion

15th Chemical Battalion


15th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 15B
- Similar to 15A. Piles are shorter, overall a light blue sinister bend inscribed SERVICE in gold; scroll is not pierced and is light blue with motto: EQUAL TO THE TASK in gold; smaller.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (24x23mm)


22nd Chemical Battalion

22nd Chemical Battalion


22nd Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 22A


Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/4 inches (3.18 cm) in height overall consisting of a Blue hexagon, one point up, a Green diagonal band angled in the direction taken by the Panama Canal, fimbriated Or, overall a Gold dragon statant.


Symbolism: The tinctures of the background and the dragon are the colors of the Chemical Corps.  The diagonal band represents the Panama Canal, the district to which the organization was assigned, while the dragon is taken from the coat of arms of the 1st Gas Regiment.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 1st Chemical Company on 6 February 1930.  It was redesignated for the 22d Chemical Company on 23 November 1965.  The insignia was redesignated for the 22d Chemical Battalion with the description updated on 29 October 2004.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/22ChemicalBattalion.htm.
Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


23rd Chemical Battalion

23rd Chemical Battalion


23rd Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 23A
- A gold smoke bomb bearing a red and dark blue Taeguk, surmounted by a gold lion's face detailed dark blue, a dark blue scroll with motto TWO JOINED AS ONE in gold.
- Authorized 13 February 1989.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a gold smoke bomb bearing a Taeguk in proper colors superimposed by a gold lion’s face detailed blue, and attached below the smoke bomb a tripartite blue scroll inscribed “TWO JOINED AS ONE” in gold letters.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow (gold) are the colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The smoke bomb denotes the unit’s battle history as a “Smoke Generator Battalion;” it is charged with a Taeguk to indicate service in Korea, the four bursts of smoke symbolizing the unit’s four decorations for that service.  The lion’s face commemorates European campaigns and service in World War II. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 13 February 1989.  The symbolism was amended to correct the colors on 20 September 1995.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/23ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


23rd Chemical Battalion

23rd Chemical Battalion


23rd Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 23B
- Similar to 23A, the modeling of the cloud varies, the lion faces slightly to sinister. Made in Korea.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


44th Chemical Battalion (B)

44th Chemical Battalion


44th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 44A
- Illinois NG
- On a gold quatrefoil, an incised gold rampant dragon, detailed dark blue and grasping a gold hatchet in its right claw; a dark blue scroll with motto: PRIDE INTEGRUTY COURAGE in gold.
- Authorized 20 October 1989.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall, consisting of a gold quatrefoil saltirewise superimposed by a blue quatrefoil crosswise bearing a gold rampant dragon detailed blue and grasping a gold hatchet in its right claw, all enclosed at bottom and sides by a blue tripartite scroll inscribed "PRIDE INTEGRITY COURAGE" in gold.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow/gold are the colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The gold quatrefoil charged with the blue quatrefoil allude to the unit designation.  The dragon, symbolically a staunch defender, epitomizes the unit’s motto, “Pride Integrity Courage,” and has been historically used to identify chemical operations. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 20 October 1989.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/44ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


81st Chemical Battalion

81st Chemical Battalion


81st Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 81A
- On a shield divided per bend yellow and dark blue, in chief a black volcano spewing white smoke, in base a white star; a gold scroll with motto: EQUAL TO THE TASK in black.
- Design authorized 6 November 1942, amended 8 February 1943 to eliminate motto; never made for unit.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (28x30mm)
- Made for Ross for collectors and Veteran organization.


82nd Chemical Battalion

82nd Chemical Battalion


82nd Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 82A
- On a transparent dark blue shield, a yellow lightning bolt issuing from a white cloud; a white scroll with motto: POST NUBILA VICTORIA (After the Clouds, Victory) in gold.
- Design authorized 28 November 1942. Samples never approved.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (32x23mm)
- Made in Japan.


82nd Chemical Battalion

82nd Chemical Battalion


82nd Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 82A1
- Similar to 82A, lightning bolt is transparent orange, area between shield and scroll is white.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (32x23mm)
- Made in Japan.


82nd Chemical Battalion

82nd Chemical Battalion


82nd Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 82B
- Similar to 82A. Shield and scroll vary in size and shape; scroll is dark blue with motto in gold.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (35x30mm)


82nd Chemical Battalion

82nd Chemical Battalion


82nd Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 82C
- Similar to 82A, larger, shield and scroll vary in shape, shield is opaque dark blue, cloud is silver, scroll is silver with motto in dark blue.
- New redesign authorized 2 September 1987.


Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall, consisting of a shield blazoned:  Azure, issuing from clouds in chief Proper a lightning flash in bend Or.  Attached below the shield, a Silver scroll inscribed "POST NUBILA VICTORIA" in blue letters. 


Symbolism: Cobalt blue is a color traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The lightning bolt is indicative of the suddenness and speed of execution of a chemical attack when fired from a primary weapon.  The combined elements of the design are suggestive of the relationship between the elements and chemical warfare. The translation of the motto, "After the Clouds, Victory," has a two-fold significance; the primary being that the victory comes easily after a chemical attack, and secondary, that perseverance through a period of hardship and setbacks is necessary in order that victory be won. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 25 November 1942.  It was amended to revise the description and symbolism of the design and correct the spelling of the motto on 5 August 1988.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/82ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


83rd Chemical Battalion

83rd Chemical Battalion


83rd Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 83A
- On a light blue shield, a red lightning bolt is bend; overall a raised silver flying dragon emitting red flames from mouth; a silver scroll with motto: IN OMNI ELEMENTE in black. Painted.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): Pichl Klammer, Austria. Also with no hallmark.
- Dimensions: (31x27mm)


83rd Chemical Battalion

83rd Chemical Battalion


83rd Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 83B
- On transparent dark blue shield, a 4.2" chemical mortar projectile in bend with a skunk riding it, both sliver, shaded and detailed black.
- Design with scroll and motto authorized 3 December 1942. Rescinded 14 February 1956. Never made for unit.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): Wellington, Japan.
- Dimensions: (33x30mm)
- Made for collectors by S.G. Holmes in 1957.

83rd Chemical Battalion

83rd Chemical Battalion


83rd Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 83B Variation?
- On black shield, a 4.2 inch chemical mortar projectile in bend with a skunk riding it, both sliver, shaded and detailed black.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- I have not found ASMIC listing yet. Please send info!


83rd Chemical Battalion

83rd Chemical Battalion


83rd Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 83C


- On a dark blue hexagon, a diagonal yellow lightning flash surmounted by a silver flying dragon exhaling tongues of scarlet flames, the wings, extending about hexagon; a silver scroll with motto: CONFRONT ANY MISSION in dark blue.
- Authorized 26 June 1966, unit inactivated 20 Dec 1966.


Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 ¼ inches (3.18 cm) in height overall, consisting of a blue hexagon bearing a diagonal yellow lightning flash surmounted by a silver flying dragon exhaling tongues of scarlet flames, the wings extending above the hexagon; all above a silver scroll inscribed "CONFRONT ANY MISSION" in blue.


Symbolism:  Cobalt blue and golden yellow are colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The flying amphibious dragon refers to the Battalion’s combat service in World War II, which included participation in four assault landings, amphibious and airborne, in Sicily, Italy and France.  The lightning flash represents the destructive power of the ammunition used by the unit.  The hexagon is a symbol used in chemical formulas for a particle of matter. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 29 June 1966.  It was amended to include metric measurements in the description and revise the symbolism on 28 May 1993.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/83ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- Unit reactivated and is currently on active duty. Placke


83rd Chemical Battalion

83rd Chemical Battalion


83rd Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 83C1
- Similar to 83C, hexagon and motto are light blue. Made by Zadik for collectors.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (28x31mm)
-


84th Chemical Battalion

84th Chemical Battalion


84th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 84A


- On a shield, dividing per bend yellow and dark blue; on the blue, a salient dragon with death's head, breathing smoke and fire, all gold; a gold scroll with motto: CAVE FUMO (Beware the Fumes) in dark blue.
- Design authorized 6 November 1942. No data on approval.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (29x25mm)


84th Chemical Battalion

84th Chemical Battalion


84th Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 84B
- Similar to 84A, shield is gold and dark blue; on gold a red fleur-de-lis.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (29x25mm)
- Made by Koepnick for collectors.


84th Chemical Battalion

84th Chemical Battalion


84th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 84C
- On a shield, divided per bend yellow and oriental blue; on blue a dragon with death's head emitting smoke, all gold; a gold scroll, turned oriental blue, with motto: CAVE FUMO in oriental blue.
- Authorized 6 November 1942. Samples not previously approved for unit. Reactivated for Chemical School Training Regiment under Regimental System.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/16 inches (2.70 cm) in height overall, consisting of a shield blazoned:  Per bend Or and Azure on the last a dragon with a death’s head salient Or emitting from the mouth fire and smoke Proper.  Attached below the shield a Gold scroll doubled Blue and inscribed "CAVE FUMO" in blue.  The translation of the motto is "Beware, the Fumes."


Symbolism: The cobalt blue and golden yellow of the Chemical Warfare Service with a death’s head, symbolizes the function of the battalion.  Dragons are traditionally held to breathe fire and fumes.  The motto reflects the functions of the organization and is suggestive of an inspirational war cry.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 84th Chemical Battalion (Motorized) on 6 November 1942.  It was amended to update the description on 2 January 1987.  The insignia was amended to revise the description on 7 December 1993.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/84ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


88th Chemical Battalion

88th Chemical Battalion


88th Chemical Battalion (E)
ASMIC: 88A
- USAR, Florida.
- On a yellow disc with blue border, a spread eagle with talons gripping retorts of a black Chemical Corps insignia; on each retort an "8" on white disc.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (29x33mm)
- Made by Ross for collectors and Veteran organization.


92nd Chemical Battalion

92nd Chemical Battalion


92nd Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 92A
- USAR, Arkansas.


- A dark blue benzene ring shaped shield bearing a gold wyvern with red tongue, tail, barbed claws and collar, the collar bearing a white fleur-de-lis, and holding a gold hilted sword with white blade bearing a vertical dark blue bar; a gold scroll with motto: HIDE BEHIND ME in dark blue.
- Authorized 7 November 1985.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a blue benzene ring shaped shield bearing a gold wyvern with red tongue, tail, barb claws, and collar, the collar bearing a white fleur-de-lis, and holding a gold hilted sword with white blade bearing a blue vertical wavy bar; attached below a gold scroll inscribed "HIDE BEHIND ME" in blue letters.


Symbolism:  Cobalt blue and golden yellow (gold) are the colors used for chemical units.  The benzene ring is adapted from the Chemical Corps insignia of branch.  The wyvern, by virtue of its ability to breathe fire, smoke and gas, is symbolic of the Chemical Corps mission.  The collar charged with a fleur-de-lis and the sword with a wavy pale represent the unit’s participation in World War II campaigns in France and the Rhineland. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 7 November 1985.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/92ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


98th Chemical Battalion

98th Chemical Battalion


98th Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 98A
- On a dark blue shield a gold and black salamander.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s): No hallmark.
- Dimensions: (31x27mm)
- Appears to have been make in Germany for collectors. This designation has not been confirmed and is suspect.


98th Chemical Battalion

98th Chemical Battalion


98th Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 98B
- Similar to 98A spots on salamander green instead of black.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- Made for collectors.


98th Chemical Battalion

98th Chemical Battalion


98th Chemical Battalion (F)
ASMIC: 98C (??)
- Similar to 98B, shield is green instead of blue.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- Made for collectors.
- I have not found ASMIC listing yet. Please send info!

center>


103rd Chemical Battalion

103rd Chemical Battalion


103rd Chemical Battalion
ASMIC: 103A (??)


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device consisting of a shield blazoned: azure (cobalt blue), a saltire or, overall a dragon rampant vert breathing flames proper. Across the bottom is a dark blue scroll doubled and inscribed with "STABILIS VICTORIA" in gold letters.


- Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors associated with the Army Chemical Corps. The saltire symbolizes strength. During the Civil War, Kentucky was home to courageous soldiers that fought for both the Union and Confederate armies. The saltire, adapted from the Confederate Flag, and the dark blue color, which represents Union blue, commemorate the fighting spirit of these Civil War soldiers. The dragon, a fearsome and legendary creature, refers to the Regimental Chemical Corps' coat of arms. It is breathing fire to highlight the fire and destruction of chemical warfare. (Institute of Heraldry)


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 15 August 2002.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/103ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 2.86 cm in height
- Kentucky Army National Guard     

110th Chemical Battalion

110th Chemical Battalion


110th Chemical Battalion
ASMIC: 110A ?


Description: On a Gold color metal and enamel hexagonal device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned:  Per chevron enhanced Or (Golden Yellow) and Azure (Cobalt Blue), in chief five mullets chevronwise of the second, in base a dragon rampant reversed Vert fimbriated and garnished of the first, armed and langued Gules with eye and tail barb of the like; superimposed across the dragon’s hind legs two artillery shells saltirewise of the first with the one in bend garnished with three bands on its base of the third.  Attached around the bottom of the device is a Blue scroll doubled and inscribed with “UTMOST” in Gold. 


Symbolism: The hexagon shape is adapted from the Chemical Corps Branch insignia.  Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors associated with the Army Chemical Corps.  The chevron configuration, alluding to a mountain, represents mountainous areas of Okinawa and Fort Lewis where the unit served.  The dragon, symbol of strength and vigilance, and the artillery shells symbolize the unit’s operation to combat weapons of mass destruction (WMD).  The shell with the three green bands symbolizes chemical agent-filled munitions and the unmarked shell is for the unknown threat.  The dragon over crossed shells is derived from the original insignia for the First Gas Regiment.  The stars commemorate the organization’s five campaign credits for Europe during World War II as the 33rd Chemical Company and their current missions:  Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and High-yield Explosives (CBRNE) response.     


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 28 March 2006.  It was amended to correct the description on 27 April 2006. 


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/110ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- I have not found ASMIC listing yet. Please send info!              


121st Chemical Battalion

121st Chemical Battalion


121st Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 121A
- Nevada NG.
- On a benzene ring, divided per chevron dark blue and gold, a white star above a green dragon's head and a transparent brown bighorn sheep's head, back to back: two blue scrolls with motto: PARATUS VOLENS POTENS (Ready Willing Able).
- Authorized 11 September 1989.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall, consisting of a benzene ring divided per chevron blue over gold bearing a white star on the blue and a green dragon’s head and brown bighorn sheep’s head back to back on the gold.  Attached above the benzene ring a blue scroll doubled gold and inscribed "PARATUS," and attached below the benzene ring a blue scroll doubled gold and inscribed "VOLENS POTENS," all in gold letters.  


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow (gold) are the colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The benzene ring is adapted from the Chemical Corps insignia of branch.  The chevron is emblematic of strength and support.  The white star, taken from the Nevada state flag, and the bighorn sheep, reflect the unit’s home location.  The dragon, symbolically a staunch defender, refers to the unit’s motto, "PARATUS VOLENS POTENS" (Ready Willing Able) and mission.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 23 August 1989.  It was amended to correct the description to include the motto on 11 September 1989.  


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/121ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:

126th Chemical Battalion

126th Chemical Battalion


126th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 126A


Description: A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall consisting of a hexagonal shield blazoned: Per chevron reversed rayonné Or and Gules, a dragon rampant resting its sinister hind claw on a bayonet fesswise Azure (Cobalt Blue). Attached around the base of the shield, a Dark Blue scroll inscribed "THROUGH THE FLAMES" in Gold letters with Red flames on either side emitting from the ends of the scrolls.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors traditionally used by the Chemical Corps. The dragon is a fire-breathing, mystical beast of strength and power. Standing among the flames, it symbolizes the fire and destruction of chemical warfare. The flames also underscore the organization's motto. The bayonet, a symbol of the Infantry, represents the unit's Infantry heritage. The hexagonal shield alludes to a benzene ring and is adapted from the branch insignia.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 17 April 2000.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/126ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


145th Chemical Battalion

145th Chemical Battalion


145th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 145A
Description:   A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a blue perpendicular surveyor’s plumb bob within the open end of a white spade iron in front of a red saltire all within a continuous gold scroll, the area at top surmounted by the upper ends of the saltire.  Inscribed within the gold scroll are the words “WE CAN ADAPT” in red.


Symbolism:   Scarlet and white are the colors used for Engineer organizations, the unit’s original designation.  The surveyor’s plumb bob, spade iron and saltire (symbolic of the crossbeams used in construction) allude to the former basic mission of the battalion.  The red saltire also appears on the Alabama State Flag, the home area of the unit. 


Background:   The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 145th Engineer Battalion on 2 October 1970.  It was redesignated for the 440th Ordnance Battalion with the symbolism amended to reflect the mission of the battalion on 26 October 1984.  It was redesignated for the 145th Engineer Battalion on 24 December 1997.  The insignia was redesignated effective 20 September 2002, for the 145th Chemical Battalion, Alabama Army National Guard.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/145ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 2.86 cm in height

151st Chemical Battalion

151st Chemical Battalion


151st Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 151A


Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 inch (2.54 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned:  Gules, a pale wavy Argent, a grapevine leafed per bend wavy counterchanged, in sinister chief a winged spur of the second.  Attached below the shield a Silver scroll inscribed "GET THERE FIRST" in black letters.


Symbolism: The shield is in the colors for the Corps of Engineers, the unit’s original designation.  The arms are based on local history.  When General Nathan Bedford Forrest of the Confederate Army was in pursuit of Colonel Abel D. Streight in Streight’s Raid through North Alabama, in the last days of the pursuit, Colonel Streight burned a bridge near Gaylesville in Cherokee County, Alabama.  When General Forrest reached the site of the bridge the method of pulling the cannons and empty caissons over the river was by the use of ropes and grapevines.  This historical fact may well be perpetuated in the coat of arms of the Battalion as a fitting example to them of how a difficulty may be overcome.  The winged spur signifies that the unit is mounted.  The motto is said to have originated with General Forrest, who is claimed to have said:  Git That Furs’est with the Mostest Men.” 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 127th Engineer Battalion (Mounted) on 27 April 1926.  It was redesignated for the 151st Engineer Regiment on 28 February 1942.  It was redesignated for the 151st Engineer Battalion on 20 September 1944.  It was redesignated for the 151st Engineer Battalion (Combat) (Army) on 7 June 1954.  The insignia was redesignated on 1 August 2002, for the 151st Chemical Battalion, Alabama Army National Guard.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/151ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:

152nd Chemical Battalion

152nd Chemical Battalion


152nd Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 152A


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a gold shield bearing on a red pile between two blue piles reversed, each charged with white bars wavy, a sea lion grasping a sword in its dexter paw, all of gold, the shield within a three segmented red scroll inscribed on the dexter segment "READY" on the center segment in base "WITHOUT" and on the sinister segment "REASON" in gold letters.


Symbolism: Yellow is the color used for Armor, the former designation of the unit.  The blue represents the Pacific Theater where the unit was engaged in World War II and the three wavy bars denote the campaigns of New Guinea, Western Pacific and Southern Philippines.  Arrowheads for two amphibious assault landings are symbolized by the two reversed piles and the award of the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation is indicated by the red pile in center charged with a gold sea lion, adapted from the seal of the President of the Philippines. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 152d Armor Regiment on 16 July 1970.  It was redesignated effective 30 September 2002, for the 152d Chemical Battalion, Alabama Army National Guard.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/152ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:

155th Chemical Battalion

155th Chemical Battalion


155th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 155A


Description: On a hexagon shaped Gold colored metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall blazoned:  Azure, a quatrefoil throughout Or charged in its bottom lobe with a guze bearing three mullets, one and two, of the like, and issuant there from a hydra of as many heads of the field detailed of the second.  Below a Blue scroll inscribed “THE FOG OF WAR” in Gold letters. 


Symbolism: The overall shape of the device is a hexagon which reflects the benzene ring.  The quatrefoil is also symbolic of the fog in their motto, “The Fog of War.”  The hydra represents the Chemical Corps.  The three stars represent the three campaigns awarded to the ancestor units during World War II. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 11 December 2006. 


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/155ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:
- Ohio Army National Guard

192nd Chemical Battalion

192nd Chemical Battalion


192nd Chemical Battalion
ASMIC: 192A


Description: A silver color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned:  Argent, a cross Gules, overall a saltire azure, that portion of the saltire upon the cross fimbriated of the field; on a chief of the second, a fleur-de-lis of the first.  Attached below the shield a Red scroll inscribed "SKILL AND FORCE" in Silver letters.


Symbolism: The shield is white, the old facings of the Infantry.  The red cross is for Revolutionary War service and the blue saltire for Civil War service.  The fleur-de-lis on the red chief, the present color for Artillery, represents service as Artillery in France during World War I.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for the 192d Field Artillery Regiment on 25 March 1927.  It was redesignated for the 192d Field Artillery Battalion on 28 July 1942.  It was redesignated for the 192d Artillery Regiment on 15 January 1971.  It was redesignated for the 192d Field Artillery Regiment on 19 July 1972.  The insignia was redesignated with the description updated, for the 192d Chemical Battalion on 18 November 2003.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/192ChemicalBattalion.htm.

 


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 2.86 cm in height
- Connecticut Army National Guard


206th Chemical Battalion

206th Chemical Battalion


206th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 206A


Description:   A Gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height consisting of a shield blazoned:  Azure, a pile Or, thereon a wyvern rising Gules, incensed Proper, between in dexter base a horse head Or, couped and reversed, in sinister base a key bendwise sinister wards upwards and a pick axe saltirewise of the last.  Attached below the shield a Blue scroll inscribed "FLAMMA FUMO EST PROXIMIA" in gold letters.


Symbolism:   Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors associated with the Army Chemical Corps.  The gold pile is symbolic of the impact of chemical warfare on military options.  The red dragon (wyvern) is a fire-breathing mystical creature of strength and power.  In red, it represents the lineage with the Engineers and current affiliations with the Chemical Corps.  The fire and smoke symbolize the fire and destruction of chemical warfare and underscore a play on the unit’s motto “Flamma Fumo Est Proxima” meaning “Fire Follows Smoke.”  The horse head represents heritage with the state of Kentucky and faces the pick which signifies lineage with Engineers and is crossed with the key which denotes lineage with the 38th Military Police Company during World War II.
Background:   The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 28 September 2004.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/206ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 3.02 cm in height
- Kentucky Army National Guard


278th Chemical Battalion

278th Chemical Battalion


278th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 278A


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a shield blazoned: Argent, a saltire Gules fimbriated Or cantoned by four mullets Azure, overall a dragon segreant Vert, armed and langued of the third. Attached below the shield a cobalt blue scroll inscribed "DEFENSORI VISIUM" in Gold.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors traditionally used by Chemical units. The golden yellow fimbriation on the saltire suggests the courageous spirit of the personnel in the battalion. The dragon, a legendary creature, symbolizes vigilance and power, emphasizing the fire and destruction of chemical warfare. The red diagonal cross or the Saint Andrew cross is adapted from the flag of Alabama and represents the state where the battalion is located. The blue stars highlight the battalion's four major European campaigns during World War II. Scarlet signifies courage and sacrifice.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 28 March 2003.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/278ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 2.86 cm in height


420th Chemical Battalion

420th Chemical Battalion


420th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 420A


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height, consisting of a light blue hexagon enclosed by a blue benzene ring, bearing a green dragon garnished gold, armed and langued red with wings displayed upon a snowcapped mountain in proper colors, overall at bottom a gold scroll inscribed "PASSAGE ASSURED" in red.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors traditionally used by Chemical units. The benzene ring is adapted from the United States Army Chemical Corps insignia of branch. The light blue hexagon refers to the First Washington United States Volunteer Infantry, the first organized militia in the Yakima area. The dragon signifies vigilance; the mountain symbolizes Mount Rainier, a prominent Washington landmark and highlights the location of the unit. Together, the dragon and mountain represent power and strength.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 27 March 2000.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/420ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: 2.86 cm in height


450th Chemical Battalion

450th Chemical Battalion


450th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 450A
- USAR, Texas.
- On a gold round, three red swords surmounted by a gold hexagon bearing a scalloped dark blue roundel charged with a gold griffin's head, detailed dark blue, tongue red; all enclosed in gold scroll with motto: SHIELD THE SOLIDER in dark blue.
- Authorized 25 June 1985.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a gold hexagon bearing a blue roundel edged with 27 scallops and centered thereon a gold griffin’s head detailed blue and with red tongue all in front of three red swords points up and all enclosed by a continuous wavy gold scroll inscribed "SHIELD THE SOLDIER" at sides and top in blue letters.


Symbolism: Blue and gold are the branch colors of the Chemical Corps which is also represented by the six-sided shape or benzene ring taken from the Chemical Branch insignia.  The blue smoke cloud shape with 27 scallops symbolizes the unit’s descent from the 27th Chemical Smoke Generator Battalion.  The swords are for the unit’s three World War II campaigns and red is for valour.  The griffin (a vigilant and alert heraldic beast, always ready to defend) the hexagon shield shape and the swords allude to the motto. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 25 June 1985.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/450ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


451st Chemical Battalion

451st Chemical Battalion


451st Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 451A
- USAR, New Jersey.
- On a gold ground, three billows of white smoke issuing from a gold retort half full of dark blue liquid, within and surmounting a gold benzene ring; a dark blue scroll with motto: RESOLUTE AND LOYAL in gold.
- Authorized 28 October 1968. Samples approved 26 September 1972.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of three billows of white smoke issuing upwards and behind a gold retort half filled with a “liquid” of cobalt blue within and surmounting a gold benzene ring, all above a blue scroll bearing the inscription "RESOLUTE AND LOYAL" in gold letters.  


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and yellow (gold) are the colors used for Chemical organizations.  The chemical retort and the billowing smoke within the benzene ring refer to their command or operational control of chemical smoke generator companies.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 28 October 1968.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/451ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): 22M.
- Dimensions: (29x24mm)


457th Chemical Battalion

457th Chemical Battalion


457th Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 457A
- USAR, South Carolina.
- A white smoke ring above a dark blue hexagon and in front of gold rays radiating from center of ring; a dark blue scroll with motto: COVER THE ATTACK in gold.
- Authorized 24 February 1970. Samples approved 31 May 1977.


Description:  A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/16 inches (2.70 cm) in height overall consisting of a white smoke ring with a blue hexagon surmounted and extended over the base all in front of gold rays radiating from the central area of the smoke ring and extending to a blue scroll arched over the top and the ends terminating in base at each side of the hexagon, inscribed at the top “COVER THE ATTACK” in gold letters.


Symbolism: The colors cobalt blue and golden yellow (gold) are used for the Chemical Corps.  The hexagon alludes to the chemical symbol for a benzene ring.  The smoke ring refers to the Battalion’s chemical smoke generator mission; together with the encircling scroll it connotes the unit’s motto and the capability for providing concealment of troops and installations under operating conditions by use of smoke.  The rays radiating from the smoke ring signify the Battalion’s mobility in providing overall protective cover. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 24 February 1970.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/457ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): 22-M, D-22, D-21.
- Dimensions: (28x30mm)


466th Chemical Battalion

466th Chemical Battalion


466th Chemical Battalion (C)
ASMIC: 466A
- A gold color metal and enamel insignia 1.25 inches in height consisting of a gold Lamp of Knowledge bearing a blue benzene ring and emitting a blue tongue of flame, on and above a gold scroll inscribed "Provide the Light" in blue letters: surmounting a red benzene ring interlaced with the handles of the lamp and scroll.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


468th Chemical Battalion

468th Chemical Battalion


468th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 468A
- USAR, Arkansas
- On a gold smoke cloud a green dragon upon a black portcullis; a dark blue scroll with motto: VEIL OF THE DRAGON in gold.
- Authorized 9 March 1990.


Description:  A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86cm) in height overall, consisting of a green dragon passant breathing red flames upon a black portcullis, all superimposed on a gold smoke cloud enclosed in base by a blue scroll inscribed "VEIL OF THE DRAGON" in gold letters.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow/gold are the colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps. The dragon, symbolically a staunch defender, is historically symbolic of the Chemical Corps. He stands upon a portcullis, an ancient gate or enclosure, which together with the smoke cloud alludes to the unit's mission and underscores its motto.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was authorized on 9 Mar 1990.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/468ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


472nd Chemical Battalion

472nd Chemical Battalion


472nd Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 472A
- USAR, Illinois.
- A gold star on a black disc with three light blue hexagons above; a gold scroll with motto: PROVIDE THE WAY in black.
- Authorized 4 March 1968. Samples approved 29 January 1969.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) high overall, consisting of a black disc bearing a gold star throughout with three upright elongated blue hexagons edged in gold, all conjoined with their lower points atop the upper three points of the star, all above a gold scroll bearing the inscription "PROVIDE THE WAY" in black. 


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow are the colors used for chemical units.  The disc represents the military smoke generator symbol, the black simulating smoke.  The disc also alludes to a wheel and to the 100% mobility aspects of the unit.  The star symbolizes the command and supervision of from three to eight chemical smoke generator companies represented by the three blue hexagons which also imply chemical symbols. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 4 March 1968.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/472ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): 22-M, S-21, D-22.
- Dimensions: (35x25mm)


476th Chemical Battalion

476th Chemical Battalion


476th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 476A
- USAR, Washington.
- On a cobalt blue shield, a red benzene ring, fimbriated gold, interlaced by two gold bolos saltirewise: a cobalt blue scroll with motto: PROTECT THE FORCE in gold.
- Authorized 17 June 1992.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall, consisting of a shield blazoned:  Azure, a benzene ring Gules fimbriated Or interlaced with two bolos saltirewise of the third.  Attached below the shield a scroll Azure doubled and inscribed "PROTECT THE FORCE" in gold letters. 


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow/gold are the colors traditionally associated with the Chemical Corps.  The benzene ring is adapted from the Chemical Corps insignia of branch.  Gold is emblematic of excellence and high ideals.  Red stands for bravery and valor; blue is for devotion to duty.  The unit’s service in the defense and liberation of the Philippines during World War II is signified by the bolos which symbolize the unit’s campaign participation and Philippine Unit Citation.  They are crossed to signify strength and recall the motto. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 17 June 1992.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/476ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s):
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions:


479th Chemical Battalion

479th Chemical Battalion


479th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 479A
- USAR, Rhode Island.
- A black amalgam above a white and blue heraldic fountain between two red tongues of flame; a gold scroll with motto: COMMAND SERVE OPERATE in black.
- Authorized 31 May 1967. Unit inactivated 17 January 1968.


Description: A gold colored metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches 2.86 cm) in width overall consisting of a black amalgam above an heraldic fountain (a disc with white and blue wavy bands) between two red tongues of flame; all above a gold scroll bearing the motto "COMMAND, SERVE, OPERATE" in black letters.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and gold are the colors used for Chemical Battalions. The amalgam, an ancient chemical sign, and the elements of fire and water symbolize the basic principles of chemistry and represent the organization's mission to provide technical and operational supervision for chemical units under its command.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 31 May 1967.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/479ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s):
- Dimensions: (24x29mm)
- Has been made by Ross for collectors.


485th Chemical Battalion

485th Chemical Battalion


485th Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 485A
- USAR, Pennsylvania.
- On a gold ground, a back smoke ring between two dark blue sloped areas, each bearing two white drops; all enclosed in a black scroll, turned gold with motto: RENDERING EXCELLENCE in gold.
- Authorized 12 May 1971. Samples approved 20 November 1979.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a black smoke ring composed of five irregular lobes between two cobalt blue sloped areas divergent from base to the top, each flank bearing two white heraldic drops, one vertically below the other; all enclosed by a black scroll lined gold, arched across the top and inscribed “RENDERING” and concavely curved in base and inscribed "EXCELLENCE" all letters gold.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and golden yellow (gold) are the colors used for the Chemical Corps.  The black smoke ring denotes the smoke generator mission of the Battalion; black connotes concealment, and the ring shape suggests the great mobility of the unit in providing screening activities.  The unit’s location in Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is indicated by the area between the sloped sides, for the valley of the Allegheny Mountains, and the wavy edges together with the white heraldic drops indicating water refer to the floods associated with its history.  The black enclosing scroll also refers to Johnstown, noted as a bituminous coal mining center.  Additionally, the four drops, eight waves on the slopes, and five smoke lobes (485) allude to the unit’s designation. 


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 12 May 1971.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/485ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): P-23, D-21.
- Dimensions: (30x29mm)


487th Chemical Battalion

487th Chemical Battalion


487th Chemical Battalion (B)
ASMIC: 487A
- USAR, West Virginia.
- A dark blue ring of smoke encircling a gold disc bearing a red flaming fire with golden base, flanked by two dark blue drops; a gold scroll with motto: FIRE AND SMOKE in dark blue.
- Authorized 7 August 1967. Unit inactivated 31 January 1968.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 3/16 inches (3.02 cm) in height overall consisting of a cobalt blue ring of smoke encircling a gold disc bearing throughout a red flaming fire with gold base flanked by two cobalt blue heraldic drops and enveloping the sides and base of the ring a tripart gold scroll inscribed "FIRE AND SMOKE" in cobalt blue letters.


Symbolism: Cobalt blue and gold are the colors used for the Chemical Corps.  The ancient elements, fire and water, depicted by the flames and heraldic drops connote the basic chemical operations provided by the unit.  The smoke ring alludes to the generation of smoke screens and related chemical activities.  The fire and smoke also refer to the Battalion’s motto.


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 7 August 1967.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/487ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): (30x32mm)
- Dimensions:
- Has been made by Ross for collectors.


490th Chemical Battalion

490th Chemical Battalion


490th Chemical Battalion (A)
ASMIC: 490A
- USAR, Alabama.
- A dark blue cloud bearing an incised gold dragon, rampant, poised on a red Erlenmeyer flask; a dark blue scroll with motto: SMOKE FIGHT in gold.
- Authorized 28 November 1967. Samples approved 17 February 1970.


Description: A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/16 inches (2.70 cm) in height consisting of a dark blue cloud silhouette on which is a gold color dragon rampant, poised on a red Erlenmeyer Flask, the flask surmounting a blue arched scroll in base inscribed “SMOKE” on the dexter side and “FIGHT” on the sinister side in gold color metal letters


Symbolism: Blue and gold are the colors for Chemical Battalions.  The cloud silhouette, alluding to smoke, represents gas warfare.  The Erlenmeyer Flask in indicative of mixing of elements and research in the field of chemistry.  The dragon symbolizes the fighting capabilities of the battalion.  


Background: The distinctive unit insignia was approved on 28 November 1967.


Source: The description, symbolism and background are from "The Institute of Heraldry" website: http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Chem/490ChemicalBattalion.htm.


Notes:
- Fastener(s): Clutchback.
- Hallmark(s): V-21, 22-M
- Dimensions: (28x28mm)






Return to main page.

Please e-mail webmaster if you have any questions, comments, or graphics.




Copyright (c) 2001-2011 Placke & Associates.

Links


American Society of Military Insignia Collectors

Click here for more information about ASMIC. The non-members' section contains membership information.